“I haven’t decided yet.”
“You could give it to him.”
“He’s too proud to accept my charity.”
We stared at the sea, the waters a deep purple, as the last rays of the sun moved on to light up parts of the world they would soon be going to.
“You’re never going to come back?”
“No!”
I looked at him as he continued to stare at the sea, the distant sound of the waves defining the silence.
I thought of her, I could go see her again, but it had been so long. Would she even want me back?
She walked out into the balcony, looking into the almost black distance.
“What about you?” I asked her, “Aren’t you going to meet your brother?”
“No,” she replied, “he’s a fool, an idealistic fool, but a fool nonetheless!”
“You won’t come with me?” he asked.
“No, but maybe you can come meet me sometime, or I can come meet you…”
Silence.
His phone rang.
“So this is goodbye, I suppose.” The voice said.
“Yes” he replied.
“You never will return?”
“No…what about her?”
“It never will be satisfying, if that’s what you mean.”
“Yes, I understand… I suppose.”
“It won’t matter to him now, anyway”
“Yes”
“Well then…”
“Well then…”
She looked at me, “are you going to go back to her?”
I didn’t reply. She would curse me when she knew I had booked her brother on the same flight as hers, they had their seats next to each other.
They looked at the note and the keys. He had given them the responsibility of taking care of the house. It was the only way they would accept his charity.
“Well I better be going then,” I said.
“What are you going to do now?”
“I don’t know!” I replied; I really didn’t!
No comments:
Post a Comment