Thursday, June 08, 2006

A Moonlight Waltz

Pointedly he says "What are you thinking?"

"Oh, nothing," she replies, "just that I have no body to dance with.”

“Well, neither do I - so let’s just dance together.”

Shades of the evening pass over them, as they dance for an eternity. Accordions moan softly in the distance. The moon for the night has been perfectly chosen: full and resplendent as the sun that it mirrors.

A cat hackles. Bones rattle softly in the slightly cold breeze as they dance to the odd waltz. There are others, but they dance to themselves; no one looks.

The moon rises, the violins scream. They dance dreamlike, writhing feverish as the music reaches a violent crescendo. The music stops and the silence returns. They stand holding each other, breathing hard.

“Thank you, that was lovely.” She says.

“It was. Aren’t you glad you didn’t just sit there?”

She smiles. They silently depart back to their rest.

It was a wonderful little party at the cemetery.

8 comments:

Finny Forever said...

I saw that coming with the second line.

Shilo Shiv Suleman said...

skelingtons with accordions are delicious, don't you think?

Prmod Bafna said...

Heh! good fun :)

Ostrich said...

They didn't dance the hungarian Ghoulash?

LiVEwiRe said...

Oh, I love that sneaky little dark side. ;)

Tom Meade said...

Puns, puns, puns. Pleasant little vignette.

Chandy said...

line 2 gave it away bean. should've written nobody instead of no body. but i shall embrace silence as I will spook when i'm spooken to.

slickthief said...

sweet... very cool.