
The man says “Alas! What transgression is deserving of such a pestilence upon my soul?”
The maid says “Such a morning I ne’er did see.”
The man says “Why must it be my burden to take? Such a fair maiden to behold but once.”
The maid says “If it were for me to say I love him not, my heart would not let me.”
The man says “In my wanderings I have not once looked for love, but here a heart of a wonderous maid is given me”
The maid says “I know him not a mere moment, not even his name I know.”
The man says “Why must it be that though I know her not my entire being longs to be with her alone?”
The maid says “Yet if I were to lose this life but to see him once more I would”
The man says “My life past must have been filled with sin so great to loose so vast a fortune ere I found it”
The maid says “What fate is this that love found such be so fleeting?”
The man says “A fie on love if it such a thing be that lets not one’s heart be at ease”
The maid says “’twere I to meet him not, my soul no unction would need; nay I should rather live a moment in his knowledge than a thousand lives without him.”
The man says “Against all odds would our meeting again be”
Together they say “Yet I hope above all hopes together we shall be”
Here I am 9 seconds overboard, and with a rather sappy piece in my hands (on my word processor, more like). I tried to make it a period piece, I dunno how well that has worked, considering I didn't pay much attention to Shakespeare in school!
Head on to Criminal English to see some more prose via Vermeer.
2 comments:
Return to Lovelorn. Touching I must say. Starting writing prose for the back of hard-covers.
The tragic lovers, eh?
A Bit better than the tobacco chewing westerners of your piece! :D
Post a Comment