Thursday, July 14, 2005

Comics!

Yes I spend most of my time online reading webcomics. They're the new rage, and I like to get with the times. Ok fine! I'm a geek! So anyways, I've decided to give you a comic review list. What more can you ask for, huh?

Note: The comics are listed in the order they appear in my IE favourites.

Bottle Rocket Chronicles (***) - The detailing of the mundane existence of a super hero. Bottle Rocket is a super hero with a family, and he's funny too. Good for a giggle.

White Ninja Comics (***.5) - Psychotic humour is an interesting tool to employ in a comic. White Ninja Comics are really badly drawn, but that's part of the whole deal. White Ninja can be rather gross on occassion, but it's almost always hilarious.

Ctrl+Alt+Del (***) - I guess most people would call this another Penny Arcade clone, but this was the first comic I read with the two gamer roomies theme, hence the slightly high rating. Decently funny, and rather l33t.

Red Meat (*****) - Ah, this one is pure psycho hilarious. Max Cannon's artwork is both minimilistic and detailed at the same time. He uses the black and white medium to the fullest. The characters in the strip have well detailed personalities, my favourite being Bug Eyed Earl.

Beaver and Steve (****.5) - BnS uses the routine two character theme, but what characters they are! I love the artwork on this one too, it's very different from what you see around. This comic by James Turner is a constant laugh riot.

Last Kiss Comics (****.5) - This one is just brilliant! John Lustig draws his comics in the style of the cheesy American comics from the 60s. The captivating factor of this comic is the discordant combination of the romantic artwork and the totally unromantic dialogue.

Scotts Mind (***) - Mostly single panels, this comic is vaguely Larsoneqsue, sometimes predictable, but generally quite funny.

Banurgle (***.5) - This comic is just pure SICK! But if you can stomach it, it's despicably hilarious! The illustrations are also totally bizzarre.

Satan's Salvation (*****) - another of the early webcomics I read. This one is not for you if you're even vaguely Christian. It's filled with (non)Christian gags, from Satan's perspective. And while I'm staunchly heterosexual, Lucifer looks real cute! Highly entertaining.

Bunny (*****) - Bunny is cute and amusing. The unique artwork and bizarre settings make this single panel a great read!

Little Gamers (***) - The two gamers storyline again. This one has very simplistic artwork, and the jokes are pretty neat!

Simulated Comic Product (**) - Nice comic, but it's missing something that I can't put my finger on. Some of the strips are dull, some are pretty funny!

John and John (****) - This comic is straight out perverse. Lotsa deviant jokes and uproarious too. Another unique drawing style by this chap who calls himself D!o. It's very, very funny! He also has two cool fundas on his site. One, each of the strips is a link to a webpage that is linked to the punchline; and two, there's a textfield where you can enter the comic number and go straight to that comic, it's very useful.

Qwantz (****) - This comic uses the exact same 6 panels for all the strips. Initially it's rather annoying, but if you can get past that the gags are super funny!

Rabid Monkeys (**.5) - Another in the long list of gamer webcomics that you find online. This one is drawn in an anime style. While the theme is quite cliche, the addition of the character death manages to just about pull it out of the routine gamer comic trap. Some of the gags are quite neat though.

Nozzman (**) - A single panel strip. This one is highly inconsistent. Some of the jokes are really hilarious, others are barely laughable.

Rehabilitating Mr. Wiggles (****.5) - Pure vileness, this one is! Barfable hilarity! The drawings are really cool too!

The Outer Circle (*.5) - Straight webcomic, average humour with a cliched style. Features the cartoonist in the lead role and a couple of other backing characters. It's slightly leet.

The Morning Improv (*****) - By far the most brilliant comic, by one of the most innovative artists, Scott McCloud. The comics are all stand alones, except for Meadow of the damned, which is my favourite. Browse through the rest of Scott's site too, cause it's just brilliant!

Assorted Miscellanea (***) - Not exactly a comic in the pure sense of the word, but random stuff by Thomas Meade. The artwork tends to be a bit messy, but it's made up for by some brilliant gags! Tom, I'd like to see your old comics archived on the site too!

Penny Arcade (**) - I think this one's supposed to be the original gamer webcomic. I didn't really get into it, and PA fans are probably gonna kick my ass bout the rating. But that's what I thought.

Cup of Suffering (***.5) - It starts of very ordinarily along the two roommates-plus-assorted-characters lines, but this comic picks up some great momentum along the way. The drawings are really nice in and some of the strips are side-splitting hilarious!

Ornery Boy (**.5) - I somehow didn't get to into this one, but it's nice and dark and the site's pretty nice.

Able and Baker (****.5) - Very standard in terms of the two character theme, but Able and Baker are an outstanding comic duo, very near the likes of the inimitable Calvin and Hobbes. The jokes are killer!

Her! Girl vs. Pig (***.5) - This one is just weird and whacky. I quite like it!

A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible (*****) - Even if this comic weren't good I'd give it a high rating just for the long name. Some of the early strips aren't too great, but they get better, it's a rather new comic and I'm sure it's gonna get cooler. The most amazing thing bout this comic is the artwork, which is just mind blowingly awesome!

Boy on Stick and Slither (***.5) - Another crazy comic. Very similiar to Girl vs. Pig, but the landscapes and scenarios are bizarre! Quite enjoyable.

Butternut Squash (*)- the usual story about two guys, who need sex and a life, and surprise, surprise the characters are the authors of the strip. The comic is occasionally funny, occasionally gross. The only decent thing bout this one is that the artwork is pretty catchy in a webcomic sort of way!

Nazi High (**) - a rather ordinary comic, but it's readable, with a few nice gags. Follows the usual character webcomic soap style.

Perry Bible Fellowship (****.5) - Tangential comics these are. Some are really whacked, and some creep me out. But most are just darn good hilarious.

14 comments:

Arjun said...

Visited some of them. Amazing! Never knew things like that existed!

Tom Meade said...

I'm such a lazy ass when it comes to comic-reading. Now you've made me feel bad. I agree with most of your sentiments, though.

Ostrich said...

for a comic interlude...

http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/anywhere.htm

Jugular Bean said...

@Forgotten Machine - that's a creepy coincidence

@Tom Meade - WHAT? A comic artist who don't read? Unpossible! Anyway's I do hope you take my advice and put up stuff from your archives, some of the citadel stuff was pure geniue!

@elf - name some jocks who read comics!

@Ostrich - thankee for the link, tis bookmarked!

Anonymous said...

cool. im stuck on dilbert now that ive exhausted calvin. am chkg out linx now.

Tom Meade said...

I do read, but I limit myself to about ten favourites.

Dirty Dan said...

some good links there - i read those CTRL ALT DEL one somewhere but then lost the link - thanks

L. said...

i see no angryflower. EVERYONE GO SEE http://www.angryflower.com

Jugular Bean said...

Why thankee, Shruti!

Anorion said...

Red meat! thank you for discovering that for me.

Now I have to go eat some cats.

banzai cat said...

Er, I hope he doesn't mean me.

Anyway, cool. I've always considered online comics as a great way to waste your time (if you want to waste 'em, that is). Especially if you're going through the comic archives. Hehe.

Thanks JB! Time to bookmark this post...

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://seltxjjk.com/kqpq/pzoj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://umhvvzik.com/irzh/mlwn.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://seltxjjk.com/kqpq/pzoj.html | http://txdcyltd.com/lyrk/lvbz.html